New Student/Family Guide

Everything you need to know about life at Langley High School

Welcome To Langley High School!

Coming to a new school can be intimidating to the new student.  The 2019 New Family Packet has been prepared to help new students and their parents familiarize themselves as they transition to  Langley High School. Some of the most frequently asked questions about life at Langley High School will be answered here.  Everything else you need to know about Langley is on our website.  

The School Day

How early does the school open? When does it close? Langley opens at 7:50 a.m. Monday through Friday. Classes begin at 8:10 a.m. and dismiss at 2:55 p.m. Students are expected to attend every class or activity for which they are scheduled each school day.

At the beginning of each school day, students recite the Pledge of Allegiance and observe one minute of silence. Non-participating students may sit or stand quietly during the Pledge and the moment of silence. 

What is Saxon Time?  Saxon Time is an intervention period intended to provide students with time to receive extra help, take make-up tests, or catch up on homework and reading.  Saxon Time is held from 9:47 – 10:17 a.m. every day.  Students may be assigned by teachers, counselors, or administrators to specific locations based on their particular academic needs.  Attendance is required.

What are Green and Gold days? Langley operates on a daily rotating block schedule.  This schedule is usually referred to as the Green-Gold schedule.  Green and Gold identify the class periods that meet on a particular day.  Odd numbered class periods (1, 3, 5, and 7) meet on Green days and even numbered class periods (2, 4, and 6) meet on Gold days.  Third period meets on both Green and Gold days (it is a common period).  The Green-Gold schedule is set at the beginning of the school year and does not change.  For example, if schools are closed due to weather on a Green day, and re-opened the next day, which is a Gold day, then the students report to the Gold day classes. Adjustments may be made if one particular day is missed more than the other.

What school supplies will I need on the first day?  On the first day of school, students really only need paper and pen.  Each teacher will explain what supplies are necessary for the class.  Usual supplies include, binders, college rule paper, spiral notebooks, graphing calculator, black and blue pens, pencils, and a sturdy backpack.  Please see the Class Information section below for specifics regarding equipment for Physical Education classes.

How will I find my classrooms the first few days? In order to accommodate all the classes during our renovation, Langley has several modular classrooms behind the main building in addition to the classrooms within the building.  All classrooms in the building numbered in the 100’s (107, 134, etc.) are downstairs; classrooms numbered in the 200’s (202, 226, etc.) are upstairs. Most hallways are arranged by academic department. There are maps posted at the end of every hallway.  Orientation for freshman and other students new to Langley will be held in late August. It is strongly encouraged that all students attend the Orientation and use the opportunity to walk through their class schedule replicating both Green and Gold days. Don’t hesitate to ask questions. Langley students, faculty and administrators are ready to help.

Due to renovation, some classes will be held in the trailers adjacent to the school building.  Classes located in these trailers will be clearly assigned on the student’s schedule.  The trailers are brand new and fully equipped with individual heating and air conditioning.  Bathroom facilities are located at the football field.

When are students given locker assignments? Locker assignments are given upon  request.   Report any problems with lockers to the Safety and Security Office, 703-287-2708, or ask for help in the Main Office. Most students do not use the lockers.

Are jackets, backpacks, or chewing gum permitted during the school day? Yes, but teachers have the right to limit any activity in their classrooms at any time.

Is there a dress code for students? Yes, there is a Fairfax County school dress code. All students are expected to dress appropriately.  Clothing that interferes with or disrupts the educational environment is unacceptable.  Clothing with language or images that are vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene, or clothing that promotes illegal or violent conduct, such as gang symbols, the unlawful use of weapons drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or drug paraphernalia, or clothing that contains threats is prohibited.  Clothing should fit, be neat and clean, and conform to standards of safety, good taste, and decency.  Clothing that exposes cleavage, private parts, the midriff, or under-garments, or that is otherwise sexually provocative, is prohibited. Examples of prohibited clothing include, but are not limited to: sagging or low-cut pants, low-cut necklines that show cleavage, tube tops, halter tops, backless blouses or blouses with ties only in the back, clothing constructed of see-through materials, and head coverings unless required for religious or medical purposes.  No hats; hats may not be worn or carried.

Parents of students requiring accommodation for religious beliefs, disabilities, or other valid reasons should contact the principal.  Students not complying with these rules will be asked to cover the improper clothing, change clothes, or go home. Repeated infractions will result in disciplinary action.

Can you use your cell phone during the school day?  Langley High School has a policy on student owned computing devices (such as smartphones, laptops, netbooks, tablets, and e-readers). LHS will allow students to use such devices in the cafeteria and during passing time; students may use devices in the classroom only with teacher permission. The devices are never permitted in any testing situation, including SOL and AP testing. Students are responsible for any device they choose to bring to school and must register the devices with the school.

Do I need a hall pass? Any student outside a classroom during a class period must have a hall pass obtained from their teacher.

What if I need medication during the day? According to FCPS, generally, students are not allowed to possess prescription or non-prescription medicine at any time at school. They may deliver over-the-counter (OTC) medication to the school clinic; use at school is permitted only in the clinic.  Students may carry self-administered medication, such as insulin, inhalers, and epi-pens if the appropriate Medical Authorization forms have been completed and submitted to the school clinic. In all other cases, if medication is required during school hours, an FCPS Medical Authorization form must be completed by the family and the physician and the prescription medication must be labeled and dated by the pharmacy (the pharmacy label directions must match the Medical Authorization form).  If emergency medication needs to be available during school hours, or you have other special health or medical, please contact the school clinic directly at (703)287-2710.

Academic Class Information and Guidance

What is SIS and why is it important?  SIS (Student Information Services) provides information about each of your students enrolled in Fairfax County schools. Students attendance, class performance and interims are available on SIS, as well as the school calendar and other pertinent information.

As a freshman, will there be students of all grade levels in my classes? It is possible to share classes with students from every grade level. This is especially true in math and foreign language classes, and many electives.

Is extra academic help available from teachers or other Langley students? Yes, many teachers will be available in the morning before school, and some after school to help students. Don’t hesitate to ask your classroom teacher for help. The National and World Language Honor Society members also tutor students. Most Honor Societies have tutoring programs available to students during the school day.

All students take physical education as freshmen and sophomores. What do students wear during? Are students required to shower after class? Students purchase LHS shirts and shorts for PE; students should also buy a lock for their locker. Physical education uniforms will be available at the beginning of the school year, and may even be available during the Freshmen Orientation in August. Be sure to bring sweat pants and a sweatshirt to wear outside on colder days. Showers after gym class are not mandatory.

What, if any, schoolwork needs to be completed over the summer?  All students are assigned summer reading to be completed prior to the first day of school.  The amount of reading depends on each academic class (often AP students have reading in both English and Social Studies, whereas other classes may only assign reading in one subject). Assignments may also be due in math and science.  Summer assignments are listed on the Langley website.

What is open enrollment? Open Enrollment is when a student does not need to be recommended to take a class. All students are able to sign up for honors and/or AP classes as long as they have met the pre-requisite requirements.

How can I get more information on classes available at LHS?  View the Course Catalog to see what is offered at Langley High School.   Also included in the course catalog are the sequence of courses offered by each department, for example a Humanities Course Selection Chart and Math Sequence of Courses, as well as other important documents regarding course registration and graduation requirements.  The PTSA hosts departmental presentations to provide additional information to aid in course selection. The Department of Student Services hosts a Curriculum Night at the end of January each school year to assist with planning and registration for the following year.  This program has both a parent and a student component.

How do I decide if I should in a standard, honors, or Advanced Placement classes? Students are urged to take courses that are the best fit for them.  The first question to ask yourself when deciding about taking courses is what else are you doing in life outside of academics. Clubs, sports, performing arts, job, work ethic, and academic interest should all be weighed when choosing the right fit and right class level.  Students need to create a solid balance of extracurricular activities and academic course load. Typically students who are successful in honors and/or AP courses are those students with a strong work ethic. Honors and AP courses focus on independence, analytical and writing skills.

Where do I go for help with college/career questions? In addition to the school counselors who are very knowledgeable about college and career choices, students can visit the College/Career Center, located next to the library.  The goal of the College and Career Center is to help students make informed career decisions about their post-secondary plans, which may include four-year colleges, two-year colleges, technical schools, apprenticeships, military, full-time employment, or gap year opportunities. College admission representatives regularly visit LHS; appointments to meet with them can be made through the College/Career Center. Students can find a wide variety of resources on colleges, careers, scholarships, financial aid, internship and community service opportunities, as well as and SAT, ACT, and TOEFL registration.

What can I be doing now to help get ready for college the process? Create a file at the beginning of freshmen year for all the important academic documents including report cards, transcripts, college entrance test scores (ACT EXPLORE, PSAT, ACT PLAN, ACT, SAT and AP) awards, certificates, club and society membership information, and community service participation.  All these documents will become critical reference information as you complete college applications and design resumes.

When do I need to start taking college entrance exams? LHS gives the PSAT in October to all Freshmen, Sophomore, and Juniors.  As a Freshman and Sophomore, this is a good opportunity for your student to gain the experience of taking a formal standardized test. The Junior year is very important as it is the last year for a student to take a practice college entrance exam. This is also the year that scores from the PSAT are used to decide National Merit students. Information is available at the College Board.  The spring of Junior year then becomes the ideal time for most students take their first official college entrance exam.

How are School Counselors assigned? School Counselors are assigned alphabetically by students’ last names. Unless there are unexpected personnel changes, you should have the same counselor throughout your four years of high school.

How do I arrange to see my School Counselor?

Appointments are made in the Office of Student Services which is located at Trailer 34. You will receive a pass that must be initialed by your teacher before leaving for the appointment. After seeing your counselor, you must go by the attendance office window to have your pass recorded and stamped so that your class absence will be excused.

What are Class Parents?  How do I sign up to participate as a Class Parent?  Class parents are a group of 4-5 parents who support and assist with class (defined by graduation year) events.  Class parents work collaboratively with student officers who are elected each year and provided guidance and leadership training by teachers designated as the class sponsors.  Class parents usually commit to support the class for the full four years at LHS.  If you are interested in serving as a class parent, please contact the PTSA President.  Class parents host quarterly informational coffees for parents of their class.  These coffees are an excellent way to learn about current issues and upcoming events for the class.       

What are Back to School folders? What is in them?  Back to School folders are distributed by class parents for each class (graduation year).  They include the student’s class schedule, bus route information, information distributed by Fairfax County and Fairfax County Public Schools, welcome information from the Langley administration and the PTSA, booster group fundraising forms, and information from your student’s class regarding class dues and a schedule of upcoming events, including the class dinner.

School Spirit and Student Life

Who is Otto? Otto is the Langley Saxon school spirit mascot.

What are the school colors? Langley’s school colors are forest green and old gold with white as a trim color.

Where can I get Langley spirit wear?  Langley Wear is available from several different groups.  All Langley merchandise can be viewed at the Langley Marketplace which is found on the PTSA website.

How does Langley celebrate Homecoming?

Homecoming festivities take place during spirit week and include a football game on Friday night and a dance on Saturday night. The SGA officers coordinate Spirit week plans. During spirit week, each day has a different themed activity announced in advance. The week culminates with spirit day, when all students wear a class t-shirt. All students are encouraged to participate in Homecoming activities. Adults supervise all activities.

The Homecoming Dance is intended for all Langley students. You do not have to have a date. Limousines, expensive dinners and formal dress are not necessary. This is not a fall prom. Appropriate dress is a coat and tie for guys and party dresses for girls. Some students plan pre-dance dinners as a group at a restaurant or at a student’s home. Tickets to the Homecoming Dance are sold during spirit week lunch periods.

What do the initials SGA, SCA, SAC and PTSA stand for? SGA stands for Student Government Association (student officers representing the school as a whole), SCA stands for Student Council Association (student officers representing their classes), SAC is Student Advisory Council (student representatives for the County), and PTSA is the Parent Teacher Student Association.

When are school elections held and who is eligible to run for office? Any Langley student in good academic standing who has completed the required recommendation forms may run for office. Elections are held in September for freshmen and late spring for upperclassmen. Details of all school elections are announced on the Langley Morning Announcements and the Saxon Scroll.

What clubs are available and how do I join? Club Day is held each fall during lunch periods in the courtyard so that students new to Langley can ask club members questions and sign up for activities that interest them.

Does Langley have Honor Societies?  Juniors and seniors can be selected for different Honor Societies including but not limited to, National Honor Society, Math, History, Spanish, Russian, Science, and Theater.  Applications for the Honor Societies are due in the Fall of each year.

When are pep rallies held? Pep rallies are usually held on the same day as a major sporting event. These school-wide assemblies are held in the stadium or the main gym at the end of the school day. Students who choose not to participate may go to the cafeteria. Langley pep rallies are fun and promote school pride and spirit before sporting events.

What is the policy on hazing? Hazing in any form is forbidden at Langley. Any violation of this rule should be reported immediately to a coach, teacher or administrator.

Is community service required for graduation?  Service learning is not required by FCPS, but is strongly encouraged at Langley High School.  Students who earn 40 hours over their 4 years, are eligible for a service cord upon graduation which is worn during the ceremony.  Service learning opportunities are offered twice a month on Thursdays during Saxon Time.

Student Athletics

Which sports and activities begin in August?  All fall sports, including football, field hockey, cross country, golf, cheerleading, dance team, volleyball and marching band begin in August. Langley Sports and Activities.

What are the requirements for participation?

  • Student athletes must attend all scheduled classes in order to participate in any athletic contest, practice, or activity.
  • Have a completed VHSL physical form (revised 2/17) on file in the Activities office
  • The physical must be completed after May 1st of the school year the athlete wants to participate. 
  • Only one form is required for the school year (no need to resubmit form for each season)
  • Comply with the requirements of the FCPS Participation Policy for Extra and Co-Curricular Activities.  
  • Completion of the Mandatory Concussion Education Program for Student-Athletes and parents
  • Additional eligibility requirements

What about winter and spring sports?

  • Winter sports tryouts: first week of November
  • Spring sports tryouts: third week of February
  • Each coach sets each team’s practice schedule depending on the facilities available, games schedule, and the needs of the team. Generally, teams practice two or three hours daily, Monday through Friday, and some teams practice and have competition on Saturday.
  • Teams may also have practice on holidays, and other days when school is not in session.

Where is the weight room and when is it open to students? The weight room is located next to the girls’ locker room near the main gym. All Langley students may use the weight room and are encouraged to do so. A schedule of weight room hours will be posted at the start of each sports season. To ensure safety, an adult supervisor must be present at all times when students use the equipment.

How much does it cost to attend athletic events? Will event schedules be distributed? All regular season events are $5 per ticket at the door.  Tickets for post season games such as District and Regional playoffs are $8. State championship games are $10. All adults and students need to purchase tickets to attend athletic events. The Langley Athletic Boosters offer several levels of membership which include season passes. By purchasing a membership, you receive a pass for every family member to all regular- season home games, in addition to other membership benefits. Schedules of all athletic events are included in the PTSA newsletter preceding fall, winter and spring sports seasons.  Booster information and sports schedules.


Absences: If a student is absent from school, the parent or guardian must call the Langley Attendance office answering machine, 703-287-2727. If you forget to call you must send a note to the attendance office within 48 hours. The absence will be unexcused if notification is not received within 48 hours. Three unexcused absences will result in failure for the quarter; any five unexcused absences during the school year will be reported to the cluster attendance officer which may result in a complaint being filed with the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

Tardiness: Students are to be in their seats when the ball rings to begin the class period. 

Early Check-out (Planned or Emergency): If a parent or guardian needs to remove a student from school during the regular school day, the student must submit a note to the attendance office by 10:00 a.m. on the same day. Please try to schedule doctor/dental appointments after the close of the school day. When students miss class, they are at a disadvantage and are responsible for obtaining the lecture and or review material covered that period. If an emergency arises and a student must leave school but does not have a note, the parent or guardian must speak with the attendance secretary, 703-287-2719 or 703-287-2830, before the student will be given a pass to leave school.

Pre-Arranged or Planned Absence from School: A parent or guardian must send in a note to the Attendance Office five days before, but no later than 48 hours before, the date of any planned student absence. This note should include specific absence dates and the reason for the absence. Once the note is submitted, the student will receive a pre-arranged absence form, which should be signed by each of the student’s teachers before being returned to the attendance office for processing. After being signed by the teachers, the note must be returned to the attendance office in order for the absence to be excused.

Are there detention and suspension rules? Every Langley student and parent must review and sign the Fairfax County Public Schools Student Rights and Responsibilities distributed to all students the first two weeks of classes. This document clearly outlines expected behavior and types of behaviors for which students may be disciplined. The administrators will visit all students in their English classes to discuss expected behavior and consequences for inappropriate behavior.


Where do parents drop students off when they drive them to school? Students should be dropped off in front of the school only. Keep in mind the driveway in front of the school is ONE WAY. Cars dropping off students should form a single lane of traffic along the sidewalk only. Do not go into the side parking lot when buses are arriving between 7:30 and 8:10 a.m. – you will get stuck! Parents of students with special needs should speak with the Safety and Security Office at 703-287-2708 to arrange the safest drop-off and pick-up locations. School personnel will be directing traffic flow during the opening and closing of school.

Does Langley have late buses? Yes, late buses are provided every Wednesday around 4:00 p.m. at the regular bus pick-up locations. Routes are posted on the main gym lobby door and in the main office. Questions about late buses should be directed to the Safety and Security office.

Can a student ride a different bus home with another student? Yes, but each student needs a note from his/her parent attached to a bus permission slip from the attendance office.

Who may park in the student parking lot? Due to renovations, parking is limited for the 2017-2018 school year.  Only seniors chosen by lottery may obtain parking permits.  The cost of a parking permit is $200.  All applicants must meet the deadlines for submitting the appropriate forms; have acceptable academic performance and attendance records; and no disciplinary infractions.  Parking on school grounds is a privilege.  Parking passes and campus-driving privileges may be revoked at the discretion of the Administration. Under special circumstances, students who require temporary parking passes should contact the Safety and Security office at 703-287-2708.

Media Resources and Technology

When can I go to the library? How can I get a library card? Are there fines for overdue books? The library is open before and after school.   A pass from a teacher is required to enter the library during class time. Students do not need a library card to check out library materials. The student photocopy machine is located in the library; copies are 10 cents per page. Students may also print from library computers; black-and-white printouts are 10 cents per page, color is 50 cents. Overdue fees are 10 cents per school day on most materials; the maximum fine per item is $10.00. The library also maintains a site on Blackboard. All students can access online subscription databases from home or from school, check the library catalog, and consult handouts that help with research and citations through the library's Blackboard page.

When do students use computers at Langley?  Langley encourages the use of its technology across all grade levels and in all classes, under the direction of faculty. The library’s computer lab is open for student use for homework assignments before and after school each day. Computer printouts cost 10 cents per page.

Can students use their own technology devices during the school day? Langley High School has recently changed its policy on student owned computing devices (such as smartphones, laptops, netbooks, tablets, and e-readers). Students will be able to use their devices in specific places and at specific times. Langley agrees that these devices can enhance the instructional program, and will allow students to use such devices, with teacher permission, in the classroom. Students may use devices in the cafeteria or during passing time.  Use of devices within the classroom is subject to the discretion of the teacher. Devices are never permitted in testing situations, including SOL and AP testing; violation of this rule will result in a voided test with no make up and an Honor Code referral. Students are responsible for any device they choose to bring to school.

Communication and Publications

What is the best way for a parent to stay informed about what is going on at Langley?  The 3 “R’s” will help parents know what is current at Langley:  Reading the student newspaper, the Saxon Scope, either the monthly edition that comes out in print or the more frequent online edition; Registering for FCPS Keep In Touch system and the PTSA E-News; and Regularly attending the  Principal/PTSA Coffees, quarterly class coffees and the class dinner are all very valuable ways to stay informed and up to date on the happenings affecting your student and Langley High School.  In addition, the Langley Calendar found on the school website lists all school activities, including athletic games, performing arts events, college entrance testing dates, college visits, and class coffees.

What is Blackboard?  Blackboard is homework website maintained by Fairfax County Public Schools.  All Langley students receive an FCPS Blackboard account that lists their classes and homework assignments and other important school information.  Teachers regularly update their pages. Students are strongly encouraged to use Blackboard daily. Parents may wish to have their own Blackboard accounts and may register through the school for such an account.  A parent account will allow access to the teacher homework pages only.   

What is Family Connection? Family Connection is also called Naviance, is a web-based service found on Blackboard that designed especially for high school students and their parents. Family Connection is a comprehensive website that helps students as they make decisions about academic plans, colleges, and careers. Family Connection is linked with Counselor's Office, a service used in FCPS school counseling offices to track and analyze data about college and career plans, so it provides up-to-date information that is specific to each student's school.

What is the PTSA E-News?  PTSA E-News is a weekly electronic newsletter sent to participating families.  It includes important information from the Principal and PTSA, as well as department news, upcoming school activities, sports, class information, and relevant community events.  

How do I register to receive the messages sent home from school?  Every Sunday, the Activities Office sends a message entitled This Week at Langley which informs parents of events occurring during the upcoming week.  Another email entitled This Week in Athletics is also sent home on Sundays, informing parents of the upcoming sporting events at Langley for the week. In addition, periodically, messages will be sent to families from the principal.  Register for any/all of these types of message at:   Keep In Touch

What is the Saxon Scroll? Daily announcements, activities, schedule changes and important information for students and teachers are posted on the television screens around the school.

When will I receive a student directory? The PTSA provides each student with a complimentary directory, which includes faculty phone numbers/email addresses and student/family listings, in the Fall. Extra copies are available for $5.00 each in the front office.  To register your family information and the electronic directory which is update throughout the year visit the Langley PTSA Directory.

What are the student publications? The Saxon Scope is the school newspaper published monthly by journalism students.  A subscription for delivery of a hard copy is available, as well as an online version. The school literary magazine, Shropshire, is published in the spring of each year. The Shire yearbook is produced annually.

Quick Reference Do's and Dont's

DO come to freshman/new student orientation.

DO pay your class dues so you can get your class t-shirt during spirit week and wear it proudly on Spirit Day.

DO your best - grades count - even your freshman year.

DO keep all class notes and returned tests to review for midterm exams and finals.

DO buy a heavy-duty lock for your gym locker, and use it.

DO go to your teachers and/or guidance counselor if you are having trouble with schoolwork.

DO label your valuables and secure them in your locker. Engrave your calculator.

DO bring a lunch from home until you figure out the lunch line.

DO join activities, clubs, and sports.

DO read the Saxon Scope.

DO be a trainer or manager for the sport of your choice. See the PE teachers for details. There are a very limited number of positions available.

DO get a school-sponsored physical in June. Notices will go out to all students who sign up for a fall sport. It saves a lot of time and expense.

DO be organized - use your student planner/assignment book.

DO attend all Principal/PTSA Coffees, quarterly class coffees, and your class dinner.

DO attend games, concerts and drama productions to show your Saxon pride!

DO deposit trash in trash bins and place bottles and cans in appropriate recycle boxes.

DON’T bring valuables to school such as watches, jewelry, iPods, etc.

DON’T bring food or beverages into school hallways or classes.

DON’T leave school grounds during the school day without permission.

DON’T be afraid to try out for sports, plays, chorus, etc. Go for it!