School begins promptly at 8:10 a.m. and ends at 2:55 p.m. Students are expected to attend every class or activity for which they are scheduled each school day. Specifically, this means that students must attend all classes.
What to do when...
Student has an all day absence from school:
The parent must call 703-287-2727 (Attendance Message Line), on the morning of the absence. If the parent does not call the attendance line, the absence is marked as "unexcused" after 48 hours.
Please be specific about the reason why your child will not be attending school today.
Indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise)
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
Please complete the pre-arranged absence request form prior to any pre-arranged absences. The pre-arranged absence form must be signed by each of the student's teachers and approved by the grade level assistant principal prior to absence, in order for the absence to be excused. A copy will be given to the student. Please note that extended absences are discouraged, and pre-arranged absences will be reviewed carefully before approval. An excused absence or a pre-arranged absence permits you to make up missed work. You must assume complete responsibility for making up any work missed.
Student arrives to class after 8:10 a.m.:
For all students who arrive after 8:10 a.m. students will be marked UNT. Email Nancy Schultz in the attendance office at email@example.com indicating the reason for the student arriving late, include a contact phone number. If an email has not been sent, he/she will be marked "unexcused tardy" and an email must be sent to the Attendance Office within 48 hours for the tardy to be changed to excused.
Student needs to leave class early:
Prior to 10:00 a.m., an email must be sent to the attendance office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Email must include reason for leaving class and a contact number.
The parent must notify both Langley HS and the academy school of the absence
Student athletes must attend all scheduled classes in order to participate in any athletic contest, practice, or activity. Reasonable exceptions, such as a medical appointment, may be approved by the Principal or Director of Student Activities prior to participation.
Reasons for excused absences include:
Illness of the student, death in the family, doctor or dentist appointment, observance of a religious holiday, suspension (except for certain violations as provided in Regulation 2601), or another reason acceptable to the principal or his designee.
Tardy to Class:
Students are expected to be in their "classroom" when the class begins. Habitual or excessive tardiness will result in a referral to his or her grade level administrator for follow up action.