Core & Elective Course Presentations
Learn more about course options for the 2021-2022 school year.
Welcome to our Virtual Curriculum and Electives Fair for the 2021-2022 school year. Please review the videos and materials below for details on our core and elective course offerings. Core courses are courses that are required to graduate. Elective courses are courses that you take by choice in addition to your core academic classes.
Please see the dropdown menus below for brief videos about core and elective courses available to Langley students for the 2021-2022 school year. This information will be instrumental during academic advising and course selection in January, February and March.
Students, if you have any questions, please submit them here.
Core Course Information
- amount of homework given nightly
- teacher expectations of their students
- projects due throughout the year
- skills needed for success in the course
- differences between the general level/honors level and/or AP level
- time management
- commitment, balance, and work ethic requirements
- work samples from all levels of the course
- differences in textbooks by levels
Regular courses vs. advanced placement and honors courses. What is the difference between them? What is right for you? View our core course presentations for the upcoming school year.
- 9th Grade: English 9 and English 9 Honors
- 10th Grade: English 10 and English 10 Honors
- 11th Grade: English 11, English 11 Honors, and AP Language and Composition
- 12th Grade: English 12, English 12 Honors, AP English Literature, and Dual Enrollment
Elective Course Information
Elective courses are courses that you take by choice in addition to your core academic classes. Please see the videos below for more information on elective courses.
- Computer Science (all levels)
- A high school academy is a center within an existing high school that offers advanced technical and specialized courses that successfully integrate career and academic preparation.
- Enrollments in the Academy elective course offerings will provide students with career and academic preparation for postsecondary education and/or career fields. Students enrolling in Academy elective courses will be provided with opportunities to participate in a variety of career experiences including shadowing, mentoring, and/or internships with local businesses.
For more information on FCPS Academy Courses, please see the Academies and Specialized Programs page.