Frequently Asked Questions

AP Exam Registration Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. How do I opt-out of an AP exam? 
    • AP Opt-out forms will be distributed to students the first week of October.
      • Students should check the box next to any exam they do not want to take.
      • Students and parents must sign the opt-out form and return it to McLean HS Student Services by October 23rd.
      • If you do not opt-out by the October 23rd deadline, you will be billed for any exams beyond the 6 FCPS-funded tests via MySchoolBucks in December.   
    • Students may opt out until March 1st. Please contact, Ms. Robinson at @email if your student would like to opt out and the name of the exam(s).  
  2. What happens if I register for the test, but I don’t sit for the AP exam? 
    • For the 20-21 School Year ONLY, if you do not sit for an AP exam for which you registered, you will NOT incur a fee.
  3. Can I take an AP exam if I’m NOT enrolled in the course?
    • Students may request to take one or more AP tests without being enrolled in the corresponding course.  Requests will be granted based on seat availability/testing room capacity for AP courses currently offered at McLean HS.  For exams with limited seats/capacity, non-enrolled students will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.  Students will be responsible for the test fee(s) and these test(s) will not count towards their six FCPS-funded tests.  A non-enrolled student AP exam order form is available in the main office.  The initial exam order deadline was October 23rd.
  4. For additional information regarding AP exam fees, please the FCPS website at

College Board Testing Accommodations

Students who would like to apply to College Board for testing accommodation must do so before January 15, 2021.  See the links below for the College Board accommodations request calendar and application.  

How do I know if my son or daughter is eligible for test accommodations?

Both the College Board and the ACT Review Committees have very stringent requirements. A student must demonstrate a valid need based on a documented learning disability or medical condition. The existence of an IEP or 504 Plan, in and of itself, does not guarantee test accommodation approval. The requested accommodation must presently be in use in the classroom and have been in use for at least the past 4 months. Specific documentation verifying the need may be requested. In nearly all cases, the College Board will ask for the most recent testing data (Cognitive and Achievement Testing) that was used to determine the student’s eligibility for special education services. It must be no older than 5 years. (The KTEA, Woodcock Johnson, Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children 4th Edition, and the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale 4th edition are some examples of these types of tests.


Does an IEP or 504 Plan guarantee that I will receive an accommodation?

No, the College Board’s criteria are much more stringent. Clear documentation and a demonstrated need must be provided to the College Board’s (or ACT’s) Review Committee


How long are accommodations good for?

 Once approved, a College Board accommodation will follow a student through their high school career, to include, PSAT’s, SAT’s, AP Testing and National Merit Tests.